Graduate students and faculty members in the Department of Education have access to a variety of technological equipment for your coursework and research needs.
Get "Booking Form" on FirstClass via
"First Class Desktop >> Conferences >>Tech Cafe"
Read more about FirstClass
- Determine your needs and complete one of the forms using the "booking reference codes" (see below).
- You must indicate when you’ll be picking up the equipment, and the class associated with the project or research*.
- You’ll receive an email via FirstClass when your booking has been confirmed.
*All booking forms must indicate a course and a professor. Incomplete forms will not be processed.
How far in advance should I plan?
We require a minimum notice of 2 working days to process your request. We recommnd you make an appointment or visit the Tech Office to discuss your project prior to booking your equipment. We can help assess your needs and suggest a variety methods for realizing your work.
What if I need help with the equipment?
Virtually all resources are provided with the original instruction manual. You can also make an appointment with the Tech Office for quick tutorials or advice.
Where do I pick up the equipment?
- Tech Office in LB 564-2
- You must arrive at the time you specified in your request.
- Prior to the loan, review what you’re borrowing and sign the lending sheet.
- Upon returning the gear, equipment will be reviewed and you will sign it back in.
What will I need to make a video?
- Note: It’s best to contact us for your individual needs
- Generally speaking, you’ll need a Digital Video Camera (HDV-Kit).
- If you’re recording sound, you’ll want to choose a microphone that’s appropriate for the shooting conditions and the final product (SHT, WLAV, etc.)
- If you’re recording sound from two microphones, you’ll need an audio adapter (BTK).
- Finally, if you want to control lighting while you’re filming, you’ll need a lighting kit (LOW).
List of Equipment
- MacBook 13.3" 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- OS 10.6 Snow Leopard
- Microsoft Office 2008 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- iLife & iWork '09
- SMART tools & Notebook
- TurningPoint Anywhere
- Audacity & Skype
- Booking Code: MB
Digital Audio Recorders
- Edirol R-09HR or R-09
- Records to .WAV or .MP3
- Built-in stero mic or plug-in stereo mic (R-09 model only)
- Includes 512MB or 1GB SD memory card
- File transfer via USB
- Two (2) AA batteries or AC power
- Booking Code: DAR
Digital Video Cameras
- Canon Vixia HV30
- Records onto tape in HDV & DV formats
- Includes 2 batteries & AC power
- Transfers to iMovie via FireWire
- Includes a tripod with mounting plate
- Code: HDV-KIT
Digital Still Camera
- Canon PowerShot A570
- Includes 2GB memory card
- Transfer photos via USB cable (included)
- 4.0X Digital Zoom
- 7.1 Mega Pixels
- Code: DS03 or DS04
- Also available: Canon PowerShot S40
- Code: DS01
Digital Writing Tablet
- Wacom Intuos3 (9x12)
- Pen table with USB connection
- 5 button Intuos3 mouse
- Download driver from wacom.com
- Carrying case *not* included
- Code: INTU
- Lowel DV Core 500 Kit (with case)
- 1 x Tota-light, 1 x Pro-light, 1 x Rifa-light & 1 x V-light
- AC cables, stands, gel frame holders, gels and umbrellas
- 1 clip with arm & black flag
- * Mandatory safety workshop prior to use (30 mins)
- Code: LOW
- Cisco IP Conference Station CP7936
- Booking Code: VoIP
Portable Data Projector
- PLUS U4-232H
- Booking Code: PLUS
- Turning Point Response System RRF-01
- USB receiver
- 25 remotes
- Booking Code: TPRS
- Document Camera 280
- Digital overhead projector
- Takes instant snapshot of what is projected and saves it to a computer via USB
- Booking Code: DOCAM
- WS100 Wireless Slate
- Connects to your computer and SmartBoard to reproduce actions or handwriting on the go
- Booking Code: SLATE
- Helps you reach higher points on the SMART™ Interactive White Boards
- Booking Code: POINT
Video Game Consoles
Limit 1 console per booking
- Maximum 1 week rental period at a time
- NO EXTENSIONS
- Sony Playstation 3
- Includes 2 wireless controllers
- Games available for rental: Heavy Rain, Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins, Call of Duty 2, Bioshock 1 & 2
- Booking code: PS3
- Nintendo Wii Sports
- Includes 2 Remotes, 2 Nunchuks, 1 Wii Zapper
- Games available for rental: Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Play, No More Heroes 2, DJ Hero (w/ 2 turntables)
- Booking code: Wii
- Toshiba Portable DVD Player
- Sony HandyCam DCR-DVD308
- Uses miniDVD
- Booking Code: DV11 and DV10
- Sony Digital HandyCam DCR-TRV17
- Uses miniDV
- Booking Code: DV08 and DV09
- Firestore FS-4 Pro HD 100GB Video Recorder
- Booking Code: FireStore01
- Camera Support
- Monopod, various tripods, etc.
- Booking Code: TRI (Tripod) and MPOD (Monopod)
Other Audio Equipment
Wireless Lavalier Microphone
- Audio-Technica AT815A or Beyer Dynamic MCE86N
- Directional microphone used with a boom pole and a shockmount (BOOM KIT)
- Booking Code: SHT
- Sennheiser EK-100 Kit (Transmitter & Receiver)
- Small microphone that attaches to a shirt or collar
- User must provide two (2) 9V batteries
- Booking Code: WLAV
Beachtek Audio Adapter
Records from two audio sources simultaneously
- Booking Code: BTK
- For computer use only
- Booking Code: USB
Wired Lavalier Microphones
- For tabletop use
- Booking Code: PZM
Marantz Audio Cassette Recorder
Portable Speakers & Headphones