If you want to learn more about the theoretical and pedagogical aspects of second language acquisition from a multidimensional perspective embracing the disciplines of Education, Psychology and Linguistics, then the Department of Education has the program for you.
Our research interests include:
- language learning by children and adults in different contexts (classroom, language study abroad, immersion, intensive language teaching);
- learner characteristics (age, attitudes, motivations, aptitudes, social and cognitive features);
- language systems and their development over time (the acquisition of vocabulary, grammar, phonology);
- pedagogical practices (English as a second language, for academic or other purposes); and,
- the consequences of language learning (bilingualism, literacy, cognitive development)
Our teacher education program leads to excellent employment opportunities and government certification for teaching all age groups.